The highways of Taiwan were taken over by Department of Industrial and Mining, Chief Executive Office, Taiwan Province after Taiwan Restoration
The Bureau of Public Works was founded on November 14th,1945 to be in charge of highway engineering, river management and flood control, sewerage, building administration and urban planning.
The Second Maintenance Office was established in November 1945, which was subordinated to The Sixth Department of the Bureau of Public Works, Taiwan Province.Then, it was reorganized into The Second Engineering Department of Taiwan Provincial Ministry of Construction in June 1947.On May 16th, 1947, the Bureau of Public Works was reorganized into the Provincial Department of Construction, Taiwan Province. Due to the manpower and funds shortage, the road maintenance was ineffective during 2-year test. Therefore, the provincial road maintenance was exchanged to Provincial duties.
Taiwan Provincial Government was established in January 1949 and The Second Maintenance Office was reorganized to the Department of Transportation, Taiwan Provincial Government
on October 1st of the same year. It was located on No.187, Sec.1, Sanmin Rd., West Dist., Taichung City.There were 4 branches located in Taichung, Puli, Shueishang and Dahu.（which was formed after Chung-Fong Road built）
Due to the heavy business, The Shueishang branch was merged to Dounan Branch of The Fifth Maintenance Office in January 1952.
In July of the same year, the office added one vice director and one patrol-investigate engineer due to match up the maintenance work of some important county roads. Besides, the branches added assistants of head and it were adjusted the range of maintenance which were Miaoli, Taichung, Changhua and Nantou.
After Xiluo Bridge was built in December 1952, it started charged toll fees to the maintenance expense, and after that, the bridges of Taiwan were charged for their maintenance in 1953.
Then, Jianfeng Highway and Caopu Highway also charged toll fees as road maintenance expense.
The Second Maintenance Office in March, 1954
In May 1960, Central Cross-Island Highway was built. The office added Lisan ,Guguang （merged together in a short time）and Wushe branches, and adjusted the whole branches into six branches.
In 1961, Lisan and Guguang branches were merged together, and Wushe branch was moved to Puli.
In July 1965, Taiwan Province Highway Bureau combined the toll fees to highways-construction funds which were combined with Harbor Funds as the Traffic-construction funds including Dajiaxi Bridge, Daanxi Bridge, Zhongzhangxi Bridge, Ziqiang Bridge, Nanyun Bridge, Zhangyun Bridge, Jiji Bridge, Lanshi Bridge and Yanping-Xitou Road in December 1970.
The Second Maintenance Office in 1980
Zhuo-Lan Branch was established in March 1989, which made road broadening improvements of The 3rd Taiwan Provincial Road between Zhuo-Lan and Dong-Shi.
Da-Hu Branch was established in January 1994, which needed to handle the construction of The 3rd Taiwan Provincial Road between Shi-Tan and Nan-hu.
On April 1st, 1997, The seven branches of The Second maintenance Office were renamed by their locations: Miaoli Branch, Taichung Branch, Changhua Branch, Nantou Branch, Guguan Branch, Puli Branch and Xinyi Branch.
The Second Maintenance Office was moved to No.127, Daquan St., West Dist., Taichung on June 1st, 1998.On July 1st, 1999, Taiwan Province Highway Bureau was reorganized into Ministry of Transportation and Communications, and the office was renamed as The Second District Office of the Bureau of Highways, Ministry of Transportation and Communications.
The Bureau of Highways, Ministry of Transportation and Communications was changed the name as Directorate General of Highways, Ministry of Transportation and Communications and the office was renamed as The Second Maintenance Office Directorate General of Highways, Ministry of Transportation and Communications, on January 30th, 2002.
Zhuolan Branch was canceled by the end of the mission on February 15th, 2002, and Mingjian Branch was established to reconstruct the 16 bridges of Tai-21st Highway and 149 County Highway ascribed by Typhoon Toraji.
In October, 2004, The Mechanical Construction team was canceled and Yuanlin Branch was established for maintenance and management of East-west expressway No.76 and
In March, 2005, Dahu Branch was canceled due to the end of the short-term mission.
On July 6th, 2007, Mingjian Branch was canceled due to the end of its mission, and Zhuolan Branch was established for the reconstruction of Lanshe Bridge on The 3rd Taiwan Provincial Highway and Houfeng Bridge on Highway No.13.
On January 15th, 2018, the institution personnel system changed from transportation system to general personnel system. At the same time, Zhuolan Branch was canceled which staffs and missions combined to Taichung Branch.
Up to now
Now the organization is named as "The Second Maintenance Office Directorate General of Highways, Ministry of Transportation and Communications."
There are five work sections which are Planning Section, Public Works Section（including quality inspection task force）, Maintenance Section, Work Safety Section and Production Management Section（including contract work task force and maintenance task force ）, one Traffic Management and Control Center and four offices which are Secretariat, Personnel Section, Accounting and Statistics Office and Civil Service Ethics Office.
The office also has eight branches which are Miaoli Branch, Taichung Branch, Changhua Branch, Nantou Branch, Guguan Branch, Puli Branch, Xinyi Branch and Yuanlin Branch.